Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Raspberry Lemonade Scones



 I make a lot of desserts. Typically, I make something every day. However, I only eat about half of those because I'm a bit picky. I'm honestly only a half-assed chocolate lover, but the rest of my family (like everyone else in the world) adores chocolate. So I make a lot of chocolate desserts. And as much as I love the heavy, spicy desserts that Fall and Winter bring, the light and fruity treats that are abundant this time of year are my personal favorite. What could be better than a cold glass of raspberry lemonade when the weather turns hot?

You knew the answer would be raspberry lemonade scones, didn't you? You're sharp.


These took all of 10 minutes to put together. I made them in between making my breakfast and kneading today's bread. These are sweet and tangy and full of scone-y deliciousness. There's lemon juice and whole raspberries in the scone, which are then topped off with a tart lemon glaze. I use unsalted butter here to give them a slightly lighter, softer crumb, and use just a small amount of lemon extract for a bit of edge. I really want the flavors here to come from the fresh ingredients.


Raspberry Lemonade Drop Scones
(Makes 12 scones)

1 c sour cream or plain yogurt, minus 2 Tbsp
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp lemon extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
4 c all purpose flour
1 c sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp kosher salt
1 c unsalted butter (chilled and cubed)
1 egg
 1 1/2 c raspberries (if using frozen don't thaw first)

Glaze:
3/4 c confectioner's sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

In a small bowl mix the sour cream (or yogurt, whichever you're using) with the baking soda and set aside. Make sure you do this first so the baking soda has time to act on the sour cream/yogurt (it will change the consistency, making it fluffier). Next, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar, and salt. Cut in the chilled butter, then add the sour cream mixture, egg, lemon juice and lemon extract. Mix until just combined. Finally, fold in the raspberries (take the dough out of your food processor first if you're using one).

Use an ice cream scoop (or a 1/4 c measuring cup) to drop the dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Cook for 15-20 minutes, until the bottoms are golden brown. When they're done, transfer them to a wire cooling rack.

To make the glaze: combine the confectioner's sugar and lemon juice over medium-low heat, until the sugar is dissolved. Allow to cool and thicken slightly before drizzling or brushing over cooled scones.

4 comments:

  1. they look like brains...

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look and sound really tasty. I'm going to have to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, they do kinda look like brains! Unintentional, and kind of awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw your post at Craftster so I came for a peek - your scones look yummy!! I'm making Coconut Scones tomorrow, and will add raspberries to my grocery list so I can try these cuties!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails