Saturday, April 24, 2010

The Postman Only Rings Once

 A tiny adorable pink rolling pin and a Kaiser black steel springform pan? Yes, please.

My great-grandmother (we'll call her Granny Gunman) has lived most of her life in the kitchen. When I was growing up, I never ate macaroni and cheese from a box, or pre-made anything. If I wanted mac & cheese, she would break out the elbow macaroni and start grating cheese (of course, I couldn't appreciate that then. I wanted neon orange powdered cheese in a package!). She's the kind of person who will wake the rooster clanging pots and pans around in the kitchen, and she never visits anyone empty handed.

Cooking and baking is an integral part of who she is.

Sadly, several years ago she was diagnosed with macular degeneration. Her vision got worse and worse until, now, she's nearly blind. This would hit anyone hard, but moreso Granny Gunman because she has always been a fiercely self-sufficient person. One of the harshest consequences of losing her vision was the increasing inability to cook.

Which brings me to today's post.

The mailman (that's not very PC, is it? Mail carrier? Postal technician? Screw it) brought me a couple large boxes today from Granny Gunman. And what was in them?


Doughnut pans, muffin top pans, muffin pan, springform pans, tart and tartlette pans, loaf pans, copper molds, rolling pins, bundt pans, cookie cutters, measuring cups and spoons, pastry wheels, turnover/empanada press, Pyrex loaf pan, square cake pan, huge loaf pan, cooling racks, and a lot more.

It's Granny Gunman's arsenal, and she passed it on to me.

To say that I was excited when I saw all the goods would be an understatement. A billion recipes I didn't have the equipment for flashed through my mind. Tartlettes? Baked doughnuts? A baked cheesecake?

Just you wait to see what I have in store for you. And I have Granny Gunman to thank for it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails